[kictanet] Why Kenya has not Operationalized the Universal Access Fund?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 16:44:22 EAT 2011

Dr. Rigia,

sounds like i had read this before - wasnt this part of your PhD thesis? Either way, nice piece.

As for the Universal Fund - what i could pick from the grapevine was initially that the commission to handle the fund had not been instituted (wonder if it is now); also picked that operators did not buy the idea of submitting funds to this commission - only to go back and "beg" for their funds in order to use them in rural area.  And then ofcourse reservations on how open and transparent such a commission is likely to be given that it would be overseeing quite some hefty amount of monies (read corporate governance issues aka corruption opportunities)

Anyway, I think the whole thing may have been overtaken by events - especially the new constitutional dispensation which may demand further rethinking on such a commission (structure, operation, nomination of the commissioners etc).

walu.

walu.