[kictanet] How to fix public transport

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Fri Nov 11 00:24:31 EAT 2011

people should not forget that the public transport system in
Nairobi at one time after independence upto mid-1970s worked very
well. Kenya Bus Services was run by the NCC with some private
sector equity and the colonists left it with a monopoly in
Nairobi. Buses were so efficient and reliable one could set their
watch using then. Ramshackles were not allowed in the city.  In
the early 70s a presidential roadside declaration opened the way
for the matatu chaos, the so-called "matunda ya Uhuru". KBS
collapsed. I suggest that it is easier and cheaper to study the
Nairobi of yore than going to Bogota. Another example - the way
the public transport runs in Geneva today has an uncanny
resenblance to that of Nairobi of those days.

A related problem that needs to be resolved concurrently is
generally poor and unmaintained roads. It is said that in the
colonial days a single pothole receiving to attention was enough
to get someone sacked.

Waudo
On Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:33 PM, "Grace Githaiga"