[kictanet] Korea

Rad! conradakunga at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:58:08 EAT 2011

Last December I went on holiday in Thailand.

Thailand is considered a laggard compared to Malaysia and Singapore and
Korea but my friends it is still miles ahead of Kenya. Flyovers, 8 lane
highways, 4 lane roads in the CBD. I was impressed.

What struck me the most was not the technology and infrastructure, but the
work ethic.

I had a meal at a McDonalds and at the door was a man whose job was to open
the door to customers as they came in, smile at them and close it behind
them.

That is all.

Open, smile and close.

I watched him for a while as he did this.

He did his work very proudly and with dedication.

He seemed to understand that this small role was a cog that together with
other cogs leads to the success of the fast food shop.

You will be hard pressed to find such a work ethic here. Go to any office
(not just Government!) and you will be treated by staff as if you are
bothering them.

The doorman role is just as important as the CEO for the collective success.

We can't all be CEOs. But whatever role we have if we do it well will lead
to the success of the whole.

This my friends is what we lack, and why Vision 2030 will remain a pipe
dream until as a society we change.

We have a very poor work ethic.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:KEN&dl=en&hl=en&q=kenya+gdp+statistics#ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:KEN:KOR&ifdim=country&hl=en&dl=en

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/657/south-koreas-coming-election-highlights-christian-community