[kictanet] What kind of CIO do you want in your County?

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Mon Nov 7 13:39:11 EAT 2011

Good idea.

On Monday, November 07, 2011 1:35 PM, "S.M. Muraya"
<murigi.muraya at gmail.com> wrote:

  Dear Listers,
  Suspect it is going to take 15-20 years before Kenyan counties
  become like 60% effective in the utilization of funds.
  When KES 150 Billion (15% of a KES 1 Trillion budget) is
  devolved to 47 counties, each county (factoring populations in
  each) will get at least KES 2.5B per annum.
  In 5 years this is at least KES 12.5 Billion per county.
  With 40% (of KES 2.5B = KES 1B) to be lost per annum lost
  through mismanagement and theft, we MUST legislate / create
  posts of County Chief Information Officers.
  The CIO should head a committee of at least 5 people from
  different "constituencies" in each county to be accountable
  for the deployment of Information systems and services.
  A technically literate person / committee responsible to to
  make sure basic (accounting and project management) reporting
  systems are in place in each county within 2-3 years.
  Have looked at hundreds of pages of past US tenders /
  requirements in the past two weeks regarding Information and
  Collaboration systems and I am confident we are locally able
  to deploy the same standards / products. We just need to make
  sure we keep people who live in technical and ethical darkness
  out of County IT Committees.
  In the US, 2007 ICT budgets range from 3% for Government up to
  8% (in the finance and education sectors) per anuum
  [1]http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/sloan-school-of-management/15-57
  1-generating-business-value-from-information-technology-spring
  -2009/lecture-notes/MIT15_571s09_lec21.pdf
  A good gauge of the quality of an IT Manager/ Director is
  projects deployed well (enough to CONVENIENTLY provide
  required business intelligence or transparency) under their
  watch in the private of public sector.
  This has more to do with work ethics + practical experience or
  knowledge / certification.. NOT the outdated academics that
  are over-emphasized in Kenya.
  It seems to take a good IT Professional in Kenya, 2-3 years to
  convince ignorant Business Executives, Organizational Leaders
  and Public Officials to deploy basic Information Systems.
  Which kind of companies were contracted under their watch?
  Were local skills developed and certified in their department
  / organization?
  Typically an IT Manager / Director oppressed with very low
  budgets (or needing a cut in the budget), cannot deliver
  Quality Network, Computing and Information services.
  What kind of CIO do you want in your County?
  :)

options/kictanet/emailsignet%40mailcan.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform fo
r people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and regula
tion. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector i
n support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors onl
ine that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth, sh
are knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do no
t spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.