[kictanet] Dirty IPs

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:25:48 EAT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 09:42, simiyu mse <kensimiyu at gmail.com> wrote:

> @ Yawe et al,
>
> The 554 error you get is actually an error indicating that your MTA has
> been blocked. This could be because your IP is sending spam either
> intentionally or (usually) unintentionally.
> Your isp therefore no longer trusts your ip and has hence quarantined it,
> for a while.
>
> This is usually cleared up when you clean and patch up your LAN and
> whitelist your IP, on the RBL lists or occasionally manually on your ISP's
> smtp server.
>
> This hardly is the mistake of the isp, rather a lapse in vigilance on LAN
> security issues.

Simiyu,

You are wrong on this.

Yawe uses his ISPs SMTP server to send out e-mails. That server actually
accepts the e-mails (they have no reason not to unless Yawe's host is
compromised and they have established such checks) then sends the mail to
the destination. However, the destination refuses to accept the mail because
the sending host (ISPs SMTP Server) is blacklisted, hence Yawe's assertion
of "Dirty IPs". This is what you missed. Yawe doesn't seem to be running his
own MTA.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,