[kictanet] Government helpless as cyber criminals target women

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Tue May 3 15:25:29 EAT 2011

Listers,

This article, forwarded to me by a journalist, covers a pertinent issue in the country, which has not been debated much.

Congrats Alice for the study and raising some important policy issues that require attention and can make for some interesting debate on this list.

 Click here for more details
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/InsidePage.php?id=2000034341&cid=4&

It's timely given the earlier email shared by a lister in which his life was threatened.

I'm shocked to learn from the report that after Government trained policemen for 4 months in the US to set up a cybercrime unit within CID, nothing has taken off and the same "well trained staff" have been redeployed elsewhere! when we all know that current and future crime will take place in cyberspace....are we going forward as a country? Any one knows if there are any plans to resuscitate this unit?

Thanks Alice for bringing these issues to our attention!

Edith