[kictanet] Update from Kenya ICT Board Bellagio, Italy Summit 2011

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:25:47 EAT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 19:17, Paul Kukubo <pkukubo at ict.go.ke> wrote:

> Listers
>
> As my team finalizes the report from the 1st Kenya ICT Board Summit in
> Bellagio, Italy.  We had invited a team of 20 odd people from all over the
> world to revalidation of our value proposition. The team comprised BPO
> analysts and marketers, silicon valley venture capitalists, Europe based
> Venture capitalist invested here, representative from World Bank, country
> strategist from Malaysia, International blue chip firm executives
> representatives. from Kenya we had 3 firms (Seven Seas technologies, and
> Kencall) and a members of academia. The Permanent Secretary Dr Bitange Ndemo
> was in attendance.
>
> I would like to highlight some of the key conclusions. We are already
> planning for Bellagio 2, next year same time.

It's interesting how it's easy to "sell Kenya" outside Kenya. It's like
selling online - you don't get to "see" what you are buying, but all the
same, you need to have faith in the seller.
I, too, take the devil's advocate position on this. Why Italy, and not
Mombasa, Kenya? It could complement the efforts of KTB in selling Kenya as a
tourist destination. If it was held here, it would also help to
expose/unmask the challenges these investors will face locally - same ones
that  are being faced by entities in the same lines of business.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,