[kictanet] Local hosting - reiterated

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 08:26:40 EAT 2011

Hi Listers,

Just felt that this is a topic that needs to be kept alive until we get some
serious resolutions, it is one thing to scream about local content and another
providing the enabling environment.

We currently have no reliable application hosting and collection service
providers I had thought that with the bashing by Safaricom of the incumbent ISPs
they would have gone off to develop other areas, but from what is happening they
might also be beaten to this by big green.

It is time those claiming to run incubators for developers realise that without
reliable and cost effective hosting and collocation facilities the tools they
are providing shall remain theoretical.  To a web developer hosting space is
more critical than office space as their work place is virtual, so providing
office space still leaves 60 - 80% of the recurrent project budget going to
hosting and collocation.

This is one of the times when I think we are justified in calling on  KICT Board
and the Ministry for Information to help.  Today the average cost of collocation
for a 2U rack space is US $ 400/- per month and a server costs about US 1,500/-
which is the bear minimum for a redundant setup you require at least 6 U space,
2 servers and a firewall/switch.

If there is someone out there who can provide the service for less and is
connected to KIXP please stand and be counted.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor