[kictanet] Academic Sanity Restored

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 09:11:30 EAT 2011

Hi Listers,

Finally the government has realised that is foolhardy to produce only graduates
and the ministry of higher education has passed a directive that only 10% of
institutions will offer graduates and 60% will offer diploma and higher diploma
qualifications.

Even though the standard for development is 1:10:100:1000 where for every
graduate you produce, especially technical, you need to provide 10 high national
diploma holders, 100 hundred national diploma holders and 1000 artisans.

If we take the example of the ICT industry for us to fully exploit the skills of
a single ICT graduate we need 10 programmers to fill in the code and 100
diploma/certificate (i.e. IMIS & ICDL) holders to support the application.

Our current inverted pyramid has resulted in ICT graduates being relegated to
coders or being retrained to handle activities that would have been best handled
by a diploma holder.  It was not too bad when it lasted as I was seeing the
possibility of employing a graduate as the domestic technician come private
tutor. Kudos to the ministry for finally waking up to the reality on the ground.

 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200