[kictanet] SIM card registration status

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Thu Mar 24 09:10:24 EAT 2011

I wrote this piece back in July 2010 and also sent it round the list, but
didn't really get a response:

http://andreabohnstedt.blogspot.com/2010/07/anecdotal-evicence-sim-card.html

I don't think the data base is accurate to start with. I didn't see any
provisions to update the information. Plus I have asked lots of people who
have bought new SIM cards whether they were asked to register it. They
weren't.

On 24 March 2011 08:11, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 07:05, Sam Aguyo <saguyo at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I watched last night on TV an expose of how criminals rob MPESA and other
>> traders in CBD.  What i found interesting is that they transfer floats from
>> the agents phones to their phones. This is something that has been happening
>> and very recently.  My wonder is, does it mean that the SIM registration was
>> put on hold or some Mpesa agents do not adhere to set rules of demanding
>> identification for every transaction.  These people must be withdrawing the
>> money anyway and whenever they do the transfer, their number is reflected.
>> Could someone on the know highlight on this.
>>
>> I feel indeed horrified
>>

> Sam,
>
> You can say that again.
>
> The problem here is that some rule (- it wasn't a law, or was it? ) was
> introduced, but if you ask those who came up with it what mechanisms they
> had established to ensure that the rule was (1) adhered to, (2) enforceable
> (3) useful for the purposes for which it was meant, they'll stare at you
> blankly in the face. There is simply no mechanism to enforce the rule.
> People still buy SIM cards without anyone demanding authentic identification
> and registration from the buyer.
> Is there a central database of all the registered SIM cards? Is it with
> CCK? Is it shared with the Police/
> Come to what I thought the rule was meant to achieve in the bottom line:
> Deter criminal activities associated with mobile phones.
> Do you suppose there are established interaction mechanisms between the
> MNOs, the Police and CCK?
>
> I challenge whoever has that detail to publish it. Why does it take too
> long for the citizenry to be told about it?
> For me, I believe it was just one of those cases where the govt bullshits
> Kenyans. It does that many times over without batting an eyelid.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> Nairobi,KE
> +254733744121/+254722743223

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>