[kictanet] problem inherent in how mobile money transactions are done

Francis.Hook at gmail.com Francis.Hook at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:37:43 EAT 2011

I have a colleague who received a rather suspect SMS that, at first glance
seemed to advise of money rcvd from someone and a few minutes later someone
called to say he had sent the money and error and has a crisis of sorts and
would like the money sent back. I have seen this twice. Tricksters at work.

When using mobile money I have always wondered about the privacy of such
transactions since one is required to sign a sheet with details of the
transactions - details which are clearly visible to everyone. I note both
ZAP and Mpesa have such sheets. It would only take a keen eye to quickly
pick out a number next to a high value, memorise it - under the pretext of
doing a small transaction and then claim a victim within hours of the
person depositing money into their account.

I suppose unregistered mobile numbers must now be de-activated ASAP.

Be on the look out.