[kictanet] GoK Outsources OP Twitter a/c & Website

Muchiri Nyaggah muchiri at semacraft.com
Sat Mar 12 14:34:56 EAT 2011

Hi Listers,

The website www.republicofkenya.org appears to be backed by the GoK but
managed by a US firm. They also seem to handle the twitter account
@insidekenya which indicates its the Twitter account for Office of the
President. On both, it is explicitly stated that CLS & Associates distribute
the content on behalf of OP for the government.

CLS have an impressive client list but with all the advancements I have seen
in the web industry in Kenya over the last three years, I am certain a local
firm could have handled this. In fact, there should be staffers in the
government spokesman's office or the Kenya ICT Board who can work with the
international PR firm and the local OP staff to update this website and
profile.

How did this happen? How has the government mitigated against the risks of
foreigners spreading misinformation using official online government
channels? Is the entire government spokesman's office going to be outsourced
as well?

http://www.republicofkenya.org
http://www.twitter.com/insidekenya
http://www.clsdc.com