[kictanet] Local content in broadcast material

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:51:49 EAT 2011

Ngugi Kimani

Other stations have their own local productions e.g. NTV has beba beba, wash n set, churchill live etc. KTN has changing times. But ofcourse Citizen more.

The Broadcasting Regulations, in their sections 19 to 36, go into much more detail with regard to broadcasting content.
Section 35 gives  CCK the power to “require a licensee to commit the minimum amount of time, as may be specified in the licence, to broadcast of local content or as may be prescribed from time to time by the Commission by notice in the gazette”. If a broadcaster is unable to comply with such local content quota, “the Commission shall require such broadcaster to pay such an amount of money, as may be prescribed by the Commission into the Fund” – this presumably being the Universal Service Fund provided for by the 2008 Broadcasting Act in its section 84J but not defined anywhere in the Regulations.

I think even in as much as mention is made of the fact that requirements for local content may be included in licence conditions, CCK is not enjoined to develop a general local content policy which would specify quota applicable to the various broadcasting sectors. Also, there is no time frame in place for existing stations to comply with the requirements of the regulations.

Production of local content  calls for stations to set aside funds for this. It is important therefore that CCK consults, and after extensive public consultations, draw up a table of local content quota for the various sectors of broadcasting.

Rgds
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!