[kictanet] Kenic AGM

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 20:55:37 EAT 2011

You have captured most issues Mr. Barrack.
But I wish to narrow down to this Issues addressed
1. Growth prospects. There was a strategy to capture all schools in
Kenya and give them a domain Target was about 31000 domains. Not very
sure.
2. Register all companies in Kenya. Target, ...
3. There was a flame war on representation of registrars on the KENIC
board which the chairman Mr. Burachara extinguished before any
substantive agreement. Registrars felt that the current representation
of DRAKE on the Kenic board was not 'representative' since the drake
members are not known, they don't have an open forum, and there are no
elections or apointments  by members from the existing registrars. The
issue of the Board  being reconstituted might need to be discussed at
lengths and taken to the secretary before the next AGM. Members were
to create a mailing list for registrars to be discussing issues they
feel are important and air them at the AGMs.
4.  Google challenged us to pull up our socks on local content. The
local content would be brought by more domains registered. They
predicted a market growth in Kenya of $2Billion in digital advertising
by the end of 5 years, with current advertising revenue per year in
all media standing at $600Million.
5. The recent downtimes at the registry was queried, but Paul Musee
assured members that the problem has been delt with by providing two
redundant links to support the main link, and more links are being
sort from TESPOK members. Any volunteers here?

Moses Kemibaro had a good summary on the AGM. Probably you can look at his blog.

Organisation and Attendance of the general AGM was good.

Kind Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva
0722402248
Transworld Computer Channels