[kictanet] A true innovation?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 12:58:08 EAT 2011

Hi Listers,

A few days ago an was in a Kenya Bus and got a deja vu moment as I looked at the
conductor standing in front of  me dispensing his ticket.

http://quadrantshift.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/kbs-ticket-machine.jpg.

The moment tool me back to 1978 and I a sitting in a number 29 bus coming from
Eastleigh, where I went to school (now you can understand my lack
of etiquette at times) to Buru Buru where we lived.

To date the machine remains the same with what seems to be a very basic
activity, dispensing tickets.  Which would explain why it remains the same no
fancy additions or features, but what many of you might not know is that it
seats at the heart of a very elaborate system.

This easily overlooked device gives Kenya Bus Management Company the wealth of
information that keeps them ahead of the pack and kept them operational event
after all the groups of raiders who have owned the company over the past 20 or
so years, lose of their garage in Eastleigh, lose of the monopoly in Nairobi and
Mombasa, lose of the sole use of the Bus Terminal in Nairobi.

Now that little gadget that we all take for granted as we start new transport
organisations is what has kept them going.  There is a product ready to be
transitioned to the 21st century if only we stopped looking for opportunities
for innovation in all the wrong places.

A true innovation.

Regards

PS.  I am a sower, I leave harvesting to others.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200