[kictanet] ICANN Approves Historic Change to Internet's Domain Name System

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:34:07 EAT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:19, <alice at apc.org> wrote:

> The new gTLDs will effectively allow the creation of any TLD with up to 64
> characters,  generic words, brand names,  regional suffixes, allowing
> owners to  become domain registries. According to the CEO, this will open
> up the domain "naming system to unleash the global human imagination," .
> This development will also provide owners with the rights to create top
> level domain names in any script or language. Applications for gTLDs will
> be accepted from 12 January to 12 April 2012.
>
> There are currently  only 22 generic top level domains, which are .com,
> .int, .edu, .mil, .net, .org, .arpa, .info, ,museum, .name, .pro, .asia,
> .cat. .jobs. .mobi. .post . biz, .tel .coop, .travel. .tel, gov.
>
> With this new development, there is likely to be several hundred new
> generic top-level domain names which could include such addresses as .
> bank,  .hotel. .shop, .coke, . africa, .nairobi, among others.  It will
> cost US$185,000 to apply among other requirements, like technical
> standards, etc a price that rich global organizations will be willing to
> pay to maximize their presence on the internet.
> Too  expensive?
>
> Yes particularly for developing countries with the same needs to not only
> increase our presence on the internet but for some  to protect against
> trademark infringement dot.mpesa anyone?
>
> During the ICANN meeting in Nairobi, the Government Advisory committee
> (GAC) had advised the board to initiate a process that would see
> provisions made to support needy applicants and applications from
> developing countries.
>
> The Joint SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group was set up with
> the main objective  to develop a sustainable approach in providing support
> to applicants requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs
> Registries.
> This group have recommended a number of innovative approaches that are
> currently under consideration by ICANN community including the government
> advisory committee.
> Yesterday's resolution included a "program to ensure support for
> applicants from developing countries, with a form, structure and processes
> to be determined by the Board in consultation with stakeholders including:
> (a) consideration of the GAC recommendation for a fee waiver corresponding
> to 76 percent of the $185,000 USD evaluation fee, (b) consideration of
> recommendations of the ALAC and GNSO as chartering organizations of the
> Joint Applicant Support (JAS) Working Group, (c) designation of a budget
> of up to $2 million USD for seed funding, and creating opportunities for
> other parties to provide matching funds.........Final Report from the JAS
> Working Group (requested in time to allow staff to develop an
> implementation plan for the Board’s consideration at its October 2011
> meeting in Dakar, Senegal), with the goal of having a sustainable
> applicant support system in place before the opening of the application
> [...]
Thanks for this Alice.

Please excuse my pessimism, but I still think "Internet Presence" needs to
be determined by how many people are connected, as opposed to the
availability of gTLDs.
Then I also see this new development as something which appears to have been
prompted by the "elite club" Suppose I wanted to create dot.jaluo, it means
I have to cough USD 185'000? Yawa?? I know conglomerates will afford this,
not the "ordinary Internet user" hapa mashinani (mashinani == KE).

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,