[kictanet] State House moves in to quell mobile price wars

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 15:01:55 EAT 2011

@Mwale,

Since am not onsite i dont have the finer details.  But at a glance, and I hope am wrong, my interpretation was that one of the big players (read Safcom?) may have engineered  a regulatory coup by getting Statehouse to issue an intervention/injunction that stopped the Regulator from issuing  further inter-connection price reductions.

By the way, am on record on this list and others as one of the strongest opponents of these price-wars (i dont believe they are sustainable when done in isolation of other factors) and  therefore I  do support the rationale behind the intervention. HOWEVER I do not believe that such an intervention should be coming from Statehouse - irrespective of its merit.

If Statehouse has a position on an industry issue, they should channel them through existing regulatory processes as defined by the Communication Acts and corresponding Regulations - anything else exposes you and gets the likes of Mutoro (no offense ;-) running legitimately to court.

In addition you create a situation where everyone is trying to go to State house to have their industry issues sorted out and this disadvantages those Operators who have no leverage power to meet the tenant at State house and props up new power-brokers (we have enough at CCK) to provide access to the top.

walu.