[kictanet] State House moves in to quell mobile price wars

Jotham Kilimo Mwale jokilimo at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 12:54:54 EAT 2011

Walu,

Are you saying that a request, even a reasonable one, from statehouse should never be considered by the regulator if they are to remain independent?

>From the article, it appears the CCK board and MOIC carefully considered the 'request/directive' from statehouse and have a justification for it: "There was a feeling that
 we had moved too fast with the issue, and the decision is meant to give
 players a chance to step back and evaluate the effects that the
significant reduction in MTRs has had," Ndemo told The standard in an
interview.

I think 'independence' of a regulator does not disqualify them from receiving requests from statehouse or any other party. If the regulator can deliberate on the issue/request and then act in the best interest of the nation, I think they are still independent.

In this case, the government, the regulator and all the operators seem to be agreed on the issue and hence I do not expect any backfiring, unless the consumer disagrees furiously.

Best regards,

Jotham K. Mwale