[kictanet] Local Content - Beyond lip service

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 18:14:27 EAT 2011

Hi Aki,

The KICTB have sponsored the setting up and equip of about 17 news capture
locations countrywide with a target of one in every constituency.  A lot of the
footage captured will never see the light of day especially if we are looking to
sell it to the likes of NTV and such other broadcasters.

What KICTB is doing boils down to a wastage of resources if the footage captured
remains on their hard drives, worse still will be the damage caused to the
confidence of the youth who will have been trained on how to use the digital
recording and editing equipment, a situation that can be seen in the group from
kibera.

I can watch Youtube videos satisfactorily on my 512 kbps WiMax link which would
mean that with the right infrastructure and traffic prioritisation on the KIXP
node will allow the site like eziki to offer a platform for all that footage
being generated all those amateurs out there and thus create an alternative
source of information.

However ground breaking open data might be the fact that it is historical in
nature has its drawbacks therefore we need a more require and independent source
of  verification.  I believe that one of the statistician's mantras is to
collect more information than you need in the same vein we need a quantity of
footage and quality will follow.

The cost of setting up a server able to serve over 1000 videos will cost less
than 1 million shillings, KICTB can participate by covering the cost of a 1Gbps
pipe into KIXP while Dr. Ndemo can through in NOFBI bandwidth for uploading the
videos from across the country.

Lets stop looking for reasons why we cannot and instead spend our energies in
finding out what we need to do to make it happen.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200