[kictanet] Will Digital TV overtake the internet and mobile industry?

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:09:55 EAT 2011

While many may disagree that DVBT/2 standards will be the next big market,
possibly creating the next Kenyan HBOs and the outcome if implemented
correctly will change the way we receive information or services. The hype
of internet and mobile looks like a page in some history books and outdated.
One of the main reasons for the sucess is the ability to deliver more
channels over significantly lowered costs while at the same time using an
entertainment platform ( as the TV ) for reaching millions. The segmentation
of various licenses adds a further growth pattern to the market. In the old
days of TV services, and kenya did not implement this, there were services
known as TeleText services which provided much basic informational services
to millions of people.

In Kenya, I believe the DTT platform is going to change plenty much if the
channel rates are within reach. I'd like to list some basic impacts :

1)  Local artists groups will have the capacity to own a channel and create
another "channel O" type of TV presence.

2) Shopping TV channel

3) Informational Services, including stock exchange data

4) Farmers Channel, realtime updates on various commodities

5) When and if the return path is implemented in the STB house box unit,
inter-active services will become available. For example, in the UK, some
online polling for various programs is done from the remote control of the
STB receiver.

6) For prospective paytv content providers, Kenya is now wired up enough to
take those channels that cannot be located on satellites and pushed over
fiber connections to the final broadcasting infrastructure. Meaning one can
buy content from the various parties say in Europe and arrange delivery via
fiber into kenya.

7) Electronic Programme Guides that will allow weekly or monthly planners
and also keep the young ones out of reach on certain programs. The internet
has been too complicated to control on things like PG, R13 etc.

I'm not sure how many kenyans carry laptops and smart devices to their
lounges or entertainment areas. This is where, for at least 4-6 hours per
day, the internet and mobile are discarded in favour of family quality time
or just simply chill out and entertainment time. Looks like the internet and
mobile are really going to becoming very boring sectors.

Corrections welcome.

Rgds. :-)