[kictanet] iLabAfrica Presentations

Joseph Sevilla joe at strathmore.edu
Tue Jul 26 12:45:39 EAT 2011

Hi Bobby

Your ideas are very valid. We are already hosting two of such applications
developed by our students and look forward to host more. Our incubator is
also developing partnerships to provide seed capital to students with valid
business ideas.More info in the near future.

Regards

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was fortunate enough to attend the iLabAfrica student presentation on
> Friday last week, it was a very refreshing experience and look forward to
> when they move to the incubation stage.
>
> Over the years I have been able to provide rudimentary incubation
> facilities to various organisations which have been able to graduate and
> gone off on their own which is a very rewarding experience.
>
> My recommendations to students is that they need to use the university
> environment to test their concepts just like was done with facebook and
> other similar startups.  The university environment if more forgiving than
> the world outside, all that is required will be hosting facilities which
> already exist.
>
> After the concept has been tested at Strathmore they can increase the reach
> by going across to other universities, that statement just gave me a deja-vu
> moment (think facebook), a population of over 300,000  students which
> offered a very large market.
>
> All applications presented can be launched and run at the university, in
> addition the teams should look for ways to raise initial capital from the
> student body as a way to horn their negotiation skills.  The University can
> actually run a stock exchange able to raise seed capital for the projects
> while also giving the students experience in alternative funding sources.
>
> It is none the less a commendable effort by Strathmore University and I
> look forward to seeing more such initiatives across all other Universities.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>
> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

 *Dr Joseph Sevilla*
*Director *– *@iLabAfrica
**Strathmore University*

Ole Sangale Road
Madaraka Estate
P O Box 59857
00200 Nairobi City Square
Kenya
Phone          +254 (20) 6006155 Ext: 2193
Fax               +254 (20) 6007498
University Mobile Lines    +254 722 205428 / +254 733 618135
Website:       www.iLabAfrica.ac.ke  /  www.strathmore.edu
Skype:          joesevilla