[kictanet] Introduction of Power rationing for industrial zones : A result of failure of national planning policies?

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:17:23 EAT 2011

Agreed. My problem is that, even in the face of the rationing, Kengen
management has the capital to go after firms in Nigeria, but somehow cannot
fully tap geothermal due to lack of capital...
http://www.panapress.com/Ghanaian,-Kenyan-firms-bid-for-Nigeria-s-electricity-companies--15-780078-26-lang2-index.html

The rational previously was that Kengen was a parastatal, so could have a
monopoly, if it's privatized however, as it is now, competition needs to be
introduced.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I am deeply frustrated at this.
>
> We are trying to leap ahead in leaps and bounds in many sectors but we are
> still hobbled by inefficient power supply. In 2011.
>
> Our reliance of this unholy alliance between Kengen and KPLC yet still
> aiming for Vision 2030 is the textbook definition of gambling.
>
> In their excuses for non performance KPLC listed as its first reason
> "Delayed planting of new power generators due to prolonged period of
> processing payments' security guarantees."
>
> Amazing.
>
> Question: has the possibility of alternative power generators and
> distributors been explored?
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM, aki <aki275 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This game is repeated each time we are in drought years, with the quick
>> "import" mentality rush to get in fdi partners or the rest to
>> invest buy/lease diesel guzzling generators  to compliment the shortfalls is
>> becoming too routine. More results of shortcuts implemented over years of
>> failed national planning policies and excuses that is resulting in many
>> direct/indirect losses in the economy. This time around there are multiple
>> excuses, from high demands during peak hours to breakdowns/maintainence of
>> generators to delays in security guarantees for investors. High demands
>> during peak hours is an incremental event and did not just appear overnight,
>> water levels did not drop overnight and nor did investors just apply to
>> supply power. We have known for years our climate is changing patterns ( no
>> thanks to the major polluters i.e the developed nations who contribute
>> most towards the climate behaviour ), rainfall patterns in our region has
>> been out of sync for at least the past 10 years so. We have all the data,
>> the remote sensing abilities and infrastructure to maintain an intelligent
>> national network of early warning systems to counter gaps yet we are only
>> capable of the ultimate solution = power rationing. Surely even economic
>> planners must be enraged by this nonsense. ( Corrections very welcome )
>>

>> Full story :
>>
>> http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate+News/Power+rationing+signals+fresh+rise+in+cost+of+consumer+goods/-/539550/1207750/-/item/0/-/xqgsl/-/index.html
>>

>> Rgds. :-)

With Regards,