[kictanet] Introduction of Power rationing for industrial zones : A result of failure of national planning policies?

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 09:55:23 EAT 2011

I know, it's hard to say that yours is not a third world country when all
the East African countries have harmonized blackouts.
Most people are not aware that Kenya Power is responsible for power
distribution, including rain-sensitive power lines.

However, it is not clear who is responsible for ensuring the county has
enough generation capacity - Kengen's mandate is to make profits for its
shareholders

On 26 July 2011 09:23, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I am deeply frustrated at this.
>
> We are trying to leap ahead in leaps and bounds in many sectors but we are
> still hobbled by inefficient power supply. In 2011.
>
> Our reliance of this unholy alliance between Kengen and KPLC yet still
> aiming for Vision 2030 is the textbook definition of gambling.
>
> In their excuses for non performance KPLC listed as its first reason
> "Delayed planting of new power generators due to prolonged period of
> processing payments' security guarantees."
>
> Amazing.
>
> Question: has the possibility of alternative power generators and
> distributors been explored?
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM, aki <aki275 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This game is repeated each time we are in drought years, with the quick
>> "import" mentality rush to get in fdi partners or the rest to
>> invest buy/lease diesel guzzling generators  to compliment the shortfalls is
>> becoming too routine. More results of shortcuts implemented over years of
>> failed national planning policies and excuses that is resulting in many
>> direct/indirect losses in the economy. This time around there are multiple
>> excuses, from high demands during peak hours to breakdowns/maintainence of
>> generators to delays in security guarantees for investors. High demands
>> during peak hours is an incremental event and did not just appear overnight,
>> water levels did not drop overnight and nor did investors just apply to
>> supply power. We have known for years our climate is changing patterns ( no
>> thanks to the major polluters i.e the developed nations who contribute
>> most towards the climate behaviour ), rainfall patterns in our region has
>> been out of sync for at least the past 10 years so. We have all the data,
>> the remote sensing abilities and infrastructure to maintain an intelligent
>> national network of early warning systems to counter gaps yet we are only
>> capable of the ultimate solution = power rationing. Surely even economic
>> planners must be enraged by this nonsense. ( Corrections very welcome )
>>

>> Full story :
>>
>> http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate+News/Power+rationing+signals+fresh+rise+in+cost+of+consumer+goods/-/539550/1207750/-/item/0/-/xqgsl/-/index.html
>>

>> Rgds. :-)

with Regards: