[kictanet] Digital TV signal Distribution row

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:47:02 EAT 2011

Hi Robert, I'd like to add some comments inline below. :-)

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> The move to digital is similar to the fact that all marine cables terminate
> in one location at the coast, an opportunity to install a Kill switch.
>
> NMG & RMG have objected to working with Signet right from the beginning but
> have never put forth a convincing argument why they wanted a different
> distributor of the digital signal apart from that it needs to be an
> independent player.

**
*It makes perfect sense that broadcasters would also like the chance to
choose and even own the distribution facilities. As long as they can hold it
together and not affect national growth, where is the problem in this? *
**
**

> Who is more independent than a Chinese, they make up 1 out of every 5
> human beings, a distributor owned by a section of the media houses is
> definitely not independent.  The winning in this fight must be the consumer
> who currently only received KBC because the other media houses believe that
> it is not economically viable to put up a must in those far flung regions.

*I thought regulation exists  and that also self regulation was the mode of
broadcasters independence. Do we now need a third party to enforce
independence? And the third party really seems like a referree who has no
function in local regulation/de-regulation and can never contribute to the
advancement of the sector.*
****
*KBC used taxpayers money to fulfill national goals, this is the minimum we
can expect from it. Asking private sector to use funds to broadcast
nationally, what are the cost implications? At any given route out of
nairobi, I think the traffic capacity is that of DS3 circuits, this costs
are huge and probably charged per Kilometre. Does the Govt allow the private
stations to use the National Fiber Optic capacities at very subsidized
rates?  I remember KBC in Timboroah, Eldoret as a powerful transmitter. How
much did it cost to broadcast the signal from Nairobi, all the way to
Eldoret,  including satellite uplinking from Nairobi and downlinking in e.g.
Eldoret. *
**
*As part of national policies, was expansion included in the license
requirements over a period say e.g. 5 years or so or left to market forces
to determine?*

> Tuwache ujeuri, we cannot make bicycles so we import them from chine, we
> cannot make ploughs so we import them from China, we cannot make roads so we
> import them from China, so since we have been unable to cover the country
> with analog TV signal doesn't it follow that we should import them from
> China.

*Welcome to the consumerism society that we have been made for many decades
due to governments policies which also created private sectors that will
only meet development until retail and as far as human reosurces are
concerned. The basis is of __Import to retail. Because it seems goverments
really do nothing much--except find external partners to initially fund and
invest in their projects, collect taxes at importation, collect
taxes through VAT such as goods and services etc. Then spend these amounts
on what they think will make us even bigger markets of goods and services so
that they can collect more taxes. I believe there are even books out there
that predict Africa as a very large import market. Interestingly, I think we
will pay the ultimate price in future for becoming brain-dead zombies who
cannot even start a motor vehicle without an owners manual. There are no
policies or incentives that encourage localization. Oil producing developing
countries have fuel shortages at the domestic pumps, is just the tip of the
whole story. My amatuer views on this.*

Rgds.