[kictanet] It's the season of the animal migration in the mara, how many knew?

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:45:19 EAT 2011

Why do we lack the initiatives to bring this natural wonder to the Internet
and gain even more exposure, localise traffic? It's amazing that we have one
of the greatest animal migration wonders happening right here in kenya each
year, yet not many are aware of the event nor will be able to attend. The
animal migration is an odd event, because you have thousands of animals that
buildup along the banks of the mara river, at random places. And they also
start crossing at random times, as if they recieve a mass communication
message at the oddest times and an event that can only be captured if one
has knowledge of the area. The closest place that could host a webcam is
mara serena which is overlooking a crossing point. Both Safaricom and Airtel
have edge coverage in the area, which could be used to provide frame by
frame coverage. We don't want people to watch live as they should come to
kenya and watch for themselves but we want to also create a live interest.

How can we get Hotels, Lodges to co-operate under one "kenya live" system
and who pays for the data rates and equipment costs? We would be very
capable of building a central streaming system that would capture
live images across the country at various tourist locations from western
kenyan to the coast. Back in december, I drove down the road towards Magadi
and Corner Baridi/OlePolos had some of the best views that Kenya offers.
It's amazing the judiciary is now using live video in 2011 and many were
impressed, yet many of us were exposed to such video based systems and
designs probably 15 or more years ago so it really is quite easy.

Let's think of adding some great technology value that could bridge
awareness to an important natural event, a step towards creation of national
ip traffic which has export value. Additional ideas on what sectors can
create more ip traffic and interest, comments or suggestions are very
welcome.

Thank you.