[kictanet] KIXP reaches 1Gbps of traffic

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 22:37:48 EAT 2011

Hi Mwendwa,

This are indeed good questions.

On 7/15/11 10:01 PM, lordmwesh wrote:

> Would you be kind to indicate that this data has grown to such levels
> since google launched a local google global caching server locally,
> hence most traffic is not going outside our beloved country, and since
> then, the traffic to the IXP has grown ten fold?

Indeed majority of the traffic is Google. As you know according to Arbor
Networks Google accounts for 6% of all Internet traffic. So you can
imagine that it accounts to majority of the traffic at most IXPs
considering they are the only CDN at KIXP.

As more CDNs show up at KIXP then we can see the impact even more.

> Does this mean our local data usage has increased?

Its a sign that our local data consumption is growing and broadband is
improving since thats the largest use of the google cache.

Regards,

Michuki.