[kictanet] Yawe for Post Master General - Aluta Continua

James Kagwe kagwejg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:29:17 EAT 2011

Went through the report and have following observations

    * ICT budget which is said to have been preset by the government at
      0.3% of the organizational budget- isn't this too little
      considering IT is a heavy spender.
    * Lack of an elaborate disaster recovery business systems even with
      all those branches interconnected by fiber.
    * The PCK branch network is a gold mine, they just need to build
      confidence and all the financial services agencies go to them. I
      was surprised in my recent visit upcountry to discover that Equity
      is already using shopkeeper as agents in small shopping centers
      where you can deposit as well as withdraw money. With PCK branch
      network they would be the best to offer these services.
    * The potential to act as government agency to do tasks like helping
      in filling of forms by citizens and their delivery to government,
      collecting tax on behalf of government, delivering title deeds as
      someone suggested.
    * Poor labeling of  houses, estates and buildings is not an excuse
      anymore for failure to offer door to door deliveries as there new
      technologies to solve that are already there like Google maps, GIS
      systems and of course the cheap calling rates as a result of
      mobile telephony. If you consider DHL for example they call you
      once they receive your documents to confirm where to deliver them
      and they have delivered my documents safely in my office whenever
      I have imported a car. In any case they could start small with
      offices and then move to homes latter. Nothing stops them from
      doing that.

my thoughts