[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:12:53 EAT 2011

Allow me to post part of a posting that I made recently on another list.

"*The final chapter: Code as a Universal Raw Material*

Much as we appreciate the advances in Technology in fancy boxes and
functionality, I believe Code is the atom and the raw material that drives
every technology devices in existence. Some may argue that semiconductors or
even super conductors will change the global map on communications and
platforms; it is Code that translates the functionality of semiconductors
into useful mechanisms.  Whether a low-level pulse generator to high level
complex systems.

Since we never developed code, but because of the hard work and visions of
others who wrote the code, the world today is a much different place. Those
that shared code, and allowed it to be further developed to suit others have
given something to the world that has value beyond any billion dollar
industries.  The knowledge and capacity to create using the code atom is
within our grasp.

In the developing world where we cannot afford to do anything from the
ground upwards, whether semiconductors to jet fuel to space age materials to
pharmaceuticals, we now have access to the most powerful  universal raw
material that even the billion dollar industries depend on.  We are now
equal with most global Research & Development departments, but we lack are
the funds to match any research development.

To remove partial blame from you and me, we know that until Governments
fulfill their side of commitments to growth and stimulus plans, we are not
going to be able to achieve much. Yet we have the Code Atom in our hands. We
have the heart of all technologies within reach, within our minds to push
the barriers further. We have the raw materials and the knowledge to
create.  We no longer lack any vital ingredient that needs to be imported,
we have it now.
We don’t create because we need to survive first. And we are at the mercy of
government systems that will ensure we remain in the same place for decades
to come. They will ensure that while you can take the Code and change
things, they cannot allow it to happen. They compare us to failed road
contractors, to failed engineers, to failed projects that are meant to show
our in competencies, to failed corrupt practices that are not in our control
and the failed versions of the propoganda continues to fill the minds of
many. Many who have lost every confidence in us all and choose to ignore and
open their minds that we do not need help; we are very much capable of
helping ourselves achieve a lot. "