[kictanet] Finance Policy - Tech Startups

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 13:36:28 EAT 2011

Hi,

The last thing that a technology start-up needs to be doubling in is finance
issues they must make sure that they have a seasoned finance person or
organisation by their side to make those decisions for them while they
concentrate on the core business.

Out sourcing is about more than just transcription, let them out source the
finance function if they cannot bring it on-board as an equity partner, director
or mentor.  The niche that the venture capital firms have filled with start-ups
is the financial strategy and making sure that the organisation goes public or
is sold off when the pre-agreed milestones are reached.

In addition I would recommend that you make it clear to them that if an
opportunity arises such as a buy out that they had not factored into their
business plan that they should take it, products or innovations are not
offspring.

Back to the question, they should re-invest the money into the businesses growth
either internally or by acquisition as a means of fattening then buy the big
cars, plots, government bonds with the money they will get after listing just
like Thakaar of Scangroup, the Somen Brothers of AccessKenya did and
Transcentury is about to do.  Which is called eating your cake and having it.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor