[kictanet] Finance Policy - Tech Startups

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 18:45:06 EAT 2011

Firstly, thank you all for your feedback.

Let me expound on why I was asking this question, I'm still developing the
curriculum that's being used for startups during the mentorship program. One
of the things my (very) unscientific research brought out was the fact that
Kenyan Tech startups operated on a 'feast/famine' model, i.e. You have a
huge deal one day, buy a series of company cars, brand them, go on a hiring
spree, one year later, company is laying off people and selling the now

Question is, if our tech firms had a solid asset base (including patents),
wouldn't it be easier for them to list in the stock exchange?

I realize that in the earlier years, you need to do R&D and expand, but,
shouldn't you cushion yourself against fluctuations that *will* happen?
Nokia did not plan for the iPhone, they needed to have enough money to
survive and have a response to it. Otherwise, they might have ended up like
Palm...

@Suhayl Sadly I'm not in that situation :-(, but I do get your point on
R&D.

@Andrea That's actually what I was thinking, some can be in say 90 day
T-Bills, some bank, and some in longer term securities.

@Dorcas Hence my asking. We are yet to get a tech company listed (that is
not in the telecommunication space), so I still have no idea what happens in
the background.

@Liko Sounds like real estate is more lucrative? :-)