[kictanet] KCB-Posta partnership in agency banking

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Thu Jul 7 10:58:47 EAT 2011

Mwendwa made a good point on the post office versus the post bank (see
below).

I sent out the two links in a rush yesterday, so didn't even think that far.
I've had a quick google look at PostBank and it looks like they are using
the agency banking concept themselves to widen their reach:
http://www.postbank.co.ke/this.news.php?title=Agency%20Banking%20with%20Postbank

Also, I suspect that part of the explanation might lie in what KCB and
Postbank can do: As far as I can see from the Postbank website, the
corporation can only accept desposits, but cannot intermediate these, i.e.
cannot provide loans (I've seen some online references that it was thinking
about introducing these services, but am not sure how far that went).

KCB is a full commercial bank, so it can do both deposits and loans. I think
agents can't decide on loan applications, but they can disburse loan
payments, and accept repayments.

Does anyone know more?