[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 List Discussions Day 4 Cloud Computing

Lucy Kimani lkimani at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 00:58:14 EAT 2011

Mwendwa,
Here is my detailed response from this morning....
In addition to Server Virtualization to reduce today’s datacenter footprint which I mentioned earlier, in order to improve operational efficiency data center computer room air handling units can be architected in a perimeter raised floor cooling approach as a cooling solution as is evidenced in the white paper by the Green Grid who have managed to prove that there is a case to be made for energy efficient data centers.
http://www.thegreengrid.org/~/media/WhitePapers/CaseStudyTheROIofCoolingSystemEnergyEfficiencyUpgrades_Final.pdf?lang=en
Also check out their paper on An Analysis of Server Virtualization Utility Incentives (2011 Technical Forum)
http://www.thegreengrid.org/en/Global/Content/white-papers/ServerVirtualizationForUtilities
Well for those that wanted to know why Google?  I would hazard a guess that perhaps one of the considerations was the fact that Google’s Green Data Centers have implemented a variety of practices to ensure that  their data centers are running efficiently using only half the energy of a typical data center, not to mention their data protection pracices, but I am not in the know so mine is just an asumption.
http://www.google.com/corporate/datacenter/best-practices.html
LK