[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 List Discussions Day 4 Cloud Computing

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 13:36:49 EAT 2011

Paradoxically its the problems rooted in lack of a reliable grid that will
drive cloud computing.    Take a simple example - Equity Bank, after
realising they only use a small percentage of a Tier IV datacentre, have
plans to host others to use up that excess capacity.   I imagine other banks
and players in the enterprise space also have too much capacity - so to take
the headache away i.e. each will not need to invest x billion on power back
up systems and instead deploy some systems to a private cloud and leave the
headache to a single party to manage in terms of storage planning,
connectivity, R&D, testing, security and POWER back up.

Very similar to what mobile operators are doing with their towers - selling
them to tower operators who can then share the cost of operating the tower,
running back up systems among two or more operators.

On 5 July 2011 11:01, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:

> Let us look at things from the postive side.  Challenges are the greatest
> opportunities.  If Kengen cannot produce enough power, let us look for
> resources to do it instead of complaining. As far as I know, you can produce
> captive power and bypass KPLC.  They will wake up if we take advantage of
> their gaps.
>
> Regards
>

> Ndemo.
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry®