[kictanet] Silicon Savanna-It can be done

james ratemo jratemo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:11:44 EAT 2011

I share in this great vision. Building capacity at the grass roots is the
way to go. I believe if the idea is shovelled through universities it can go
along way. this is my idea. You let IT/Computer Science graduates or
students seeking attachment to volunteer and  run with it as an option. Have
a portal where they can express interest and egion they are willing to
serve. Have a contact person and let thembe guided on what to do. You will
be surprised how many that will show up...appreciate their efforts with
certificates of participation or letters of reference. I would do the same
if I were a student seeking to pass on my experience for the benefit of
community.

Second, have an online based video lesson that can assist the grassroot
trainers or those willing to adopt a 'DO IT YOURSElF' approach.

The concept is interesting and worth blogging and writing about. Niko nyuma
yenu maximum. Execution is the key word

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Crystal Watley Kigoni <
crystal at voicesofafrica.org> wrote:

> This is great!
>
> We are running trainings every day in Western through youth volunteers. It
> is a challenge to meet the excess demand.
>
> This lead us to develop an e-learning platform so we can extend our reach.
> Would any of the volunteers be willing to record the sessions or create
> video content? We would make it available countrywide for free. As of now we
> have a list of 10 centers in Kenya and 22 in Ghana who are waiting for
> access to the content. Our first round of courses will be launched in
> August.
>
> In September after we feel we have enough content and have a solid
> platform, we will actively be seeking to make it available to as many
> training centers and youth (through the Internet) as possible.
>
> Any takers?
>
> Best,
>
> Crystal
>
>   On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Barrack Otieno <
> otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  I agree with Ediths suggestion Daktari, i am also available to
>> contribute my expertise and one or two volunteers.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>>   On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Catherine Adeya <elizaslider at yahoo.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>    Daktari,
>>>
>>> I love your idea of people volunteering their time to help those in the
>>> rural areas especially to build capacity. A number are already doing it in
>>> their own way. I wonder if there could be a structured way to do it. Maybe a
>>> centralized place where people can drop their names (and expertise) if need
>>> be, areas where they would like to volunteer etc.  And if possible they can
>>> be matched with relevant people in these areas; the link person in those
>>> areas could be the District Information Officers (I hope that is what they
>>> are called). This is just me running away with ideas....but only if
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Nyaki
>>>
>>>  ------------------------------

James Ratemo
Online Sub-editor/ICT reporter
Nation Media Group,
P.O Box 49010-00100,
Nairobi
Cell Phone: 0724960649 OR 0731960649
Email: jratemo at ke.nationmedia.com <Emaili-jratemo at standardmedia.co.ke> or
ratemoj at hotmail.com <jamrats2001 at yahoo.com>
Website:www.jamesratemo.wordpress.com <http://www.ictcradle.com/>.
Twitter accounts: http://twitter.com/kenyacurrent or
http://twitter.com/jamesratemo
Skype account:ratemoj
My facebook account: http://www.facebook.com/Rats.the.menace

Who is rich? He that is content. Who is that? No one.