[kictanet] Kenya IGF Mailing List discussions Day 1 of 10: Impact of Mobile Internet in Kenya

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 11:58:32 EAT 2011

Thank you very Much Barrack for yet again moderating these sessions despite
your other many responsibilities.

Aki asked this question : - The first question that does come up is
electronic registration of .KE domains from a user view. Is this a system
that has been implemented into the core of KENIC so that any domain
registrars can use the facility or has the process been left to private
companies to create and offer, thus creating an un-competitive environment.
I believe such a core system should provide universal access to any kenyan
domain registrars and hope there is something in the pipeline and funds too,
if not already in place. Hope this is something we hear more about.

Attempted Answer: The registrars are now encouraged and should automate the
domain registration process and payment processing, so that end users can
register domains without human intervention. Registration of all .KE domains
will be done by registrars who are accredited by the KENIC registry who
manages the root server. This is the trend with the KENIC equivalent of
.COM, .NET, .NAME being VERISIGN. To register domains on the root servers
administered by VERISIGN, you must be a registrar accredited by ICANN. In
the same breadth, to register domain on the .KE namespace, you must go
through a registrar accredited by KENIC.

twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com <http://transworldafrica.com/> | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know