[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Three--Composition of Council )

Solomon Mburu Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:36:14 EAT 2011

I'm finding a contrast between who a journalist is, (see my earlier
post sent in yesterday concerning the Preliminary) and what is in
Article 7(c) of the Bill.

If a journalist is anyone possessing a diploma or degree in Mass
Communication(only), why then should the members of the Council be
people of diverse professionals?
Maybe the Council members need to be holders of a degree or diploma in
Mass Communication  or a journalist be any person possessing
qualifications that the Council members have - to have a level playing
field.

On 26/01/2011, S.Murigi Muraya <murigi.muraya at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doubt the values (common sense) that influenced the Mututho Law were
> agitated for by the Professional bodies listed below.
>
> Who represents Social Conservatism in the Media Council? Can NACADA be
> represented in it?
>
> Am sure part of Vision 2030 is making sure we raise a generation that is
> more socially responsible (sober).
>
> The world will have less of a problem outsourcing work to us if we do.
>
> Who in the Media council would ensure a small percentage of content is
> educational?
>
> That is at an expert level.?
>
> For Kenyans who may or did not make it to school but can get to learn via FM
> radio (even on mobile phones)?
>

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Grace Githaiga
> <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>>   Dear Listers
>>

>> Welcome to day 3 of our discussion of the Media Bill in which will tackle
>> two issues namely *Composition of the Council *(article 6) and
>> *Qualifications
>> of Members *(Article 7 (1)). Article 7 (2) *on appointment of Chairperson
>> *will be discussed tomorrow.
>>

>> *Today's debate*
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Article 6* states that the *Council shall comprise seven members,
>> appointed in accordance with the provisions of this Act. *
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Article 7 (1) states...**A person is qualified for appointment…if such a
>> person (c ) have knowledge and experience of at least 10 years including
>> past or continuing membership to industry or other professional body in
>> matters relating to any of the fields:*
>>
>> **
>>
>> *i)                    **Law*
>>
>> *ii)                  **Journalism*
>>
>> *iii)                **Finance*
>>
>> *iv)                **Gender and human rights*
>>
>> *v)                  **Performing arts; or*
>>
>> *vi)                **Advertising.*
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Questions: *
>>
>> ·         Should other professions be considered?
>>
>> ·         Is gender and human rights relevant in this list considering
>> there is mention of one belonging to a professional body?
>>
>> ·         And is it necessary to actualize gender balance? If so, how?
>>
>> ·         Out of the seven council members (article 6), are there some who
>> are critical and must be represented in the Council?
>>

>> (*d) Meets the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution*
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Question: *Chapter six of the constitution is on leadership and integrity
>> and relates to state officers. Is there an assumption then that the
>> council
>> members will be considered state officers? Is this section necessary?
>>
>> **
>>
>> *(e) Has had a distinguished career in their respective fields. *
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Question: *How workable is this?
>>
>> Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
>>
>> Rgds
> [...]

Sent from my mobile device

*Solomon Mbũrũ Kamau*

*Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!*

AND

*It is better to die in dignity than in the ignominy of ambiguous
generosity! *

http://smiley2.wordpress.com
http://mburu.sikika.co.ke