[kictanet] Are we letting the PS get away with this too?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 11:44:25 EAT 2011

I agree with the PS, the constitution might even be the list of the government
funded projects to be directly affected by lower mobile tariffs because airtime
like alcohol and fuel have a sin tax.

The best way to tax a nation where 80% of the adults do not pay income tax is to
collect at the point of consumption.  KRA has enjoyed good tidings and continues
to do so because of implementing a tax regime that is customised to the local
environment, peculiar situations by peculiar people require peculiar solutions.

Note that the tax on airtime is based on a percentage so do the month, if this
value keeps dropping the government collects less and therefore has less funds
to meet its expenditure obligations.  What then happens is that they look for
other avenues to cover the deficit such as increasing the price of fuel.

The airtime wars are not local they are global and we make a very small
indentation on this organisations bottom line which makes this a playing ground
and us pawns and unless our queen, bishops and rocks protect us we shall be left
high and try.

Once Airtel realise that their forever tariff changes are not producing the
expected results all they need to do is sell off to another multinational player
who is then not bound by the forever tariff and can then come in and take over
the market from a weakened competition, Strategy 101.

Yes, lower tariffs has a far reaching impact than many of us care to consider,
that is why we pay our PS what we do so that he can consider such issues.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200