[kictanet] KEnic down-Basics of IXPs

Fiona Asonga tespok at tespok.co.ke
Fri Jan 14 17:19:39 EAT 2011

Hallo Robert,

Allow me to point out that amongst the articles on the link Walu provided was input from KIXP published in August 2010 you seem to have missed it. It may also help you to know that since September 2010, through Treasury, the Directorate of E-government in collaboration with related government of Kenya Ministries have been peering at KIXP. This is to enable end users have a better experience in access E-government applications that are ready for use by the general public. If KIXP was a private club then the likes of KRA, and some of the Banks would not use the shared facility. KIXP picked the general principle and working within set guidelines (regulations)to develop standards of operation and value add services that are acceptable to the industry. The Industry Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT) has been set up at the KIXP and from July 2010 has had fulltime staff monitoring the network for incidents and updating specific peering members on issues identified on their respective networks. We are in collaboration with peering government agencies as well as the CCK in establishing a national CSIRT/CERT. It is therefore not practical at this point in time to view the KIXP as strictly private sector entity (club).

It is KIXP’s unique growth strategies supported by innovative solutions within the country that have given it the level of success it has achieved over the years. Effective 1st January 2011, KIXP has become a member of the Euro-IX https://www.euro-ix.net Membership for non-European Internet Exchange Point is based on the value and significance the IXPs are having in their respective regions. For KIXP there are key policies issues at that level that we hope will lead to growth of the KIXP as well as other IXPs in the region.

In view of the level of innovation in the country, I will encourage you, Robert to develop a new open system approach for IXPs and we shall be happy to try it out in so far as it does not breach CCK regulations that govern the IXP and the general purpose of an IXP.

Kind Regards

Fiona Asonga
Chief Executive Officer
Telecommunications Service Providers Association of Kenya/ Kenya Internet Exchange Point
Board Member Africa Internet Service Providers Association
Co-ordinator of Membership and Communication of the Africa Computer Emergency Response Team
NRO Number Council   http://www.nro.net/about/number-council.html
ASO Address Council  http://aso.icann.org/ac/

14th Floor, Bruce House
Standard Street

Tel: +254 20 2245 036
Cell: +254 721 713 504
Website: www.tespok.or.ke

“Industry voice in Telecommunications, Providing Policy and Direction within the Industry and Government”