[kictanet] KEnic down

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:59:00 EAT 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> Please note that KIXP is a private club that has loose and unenforceable
> rules and regulations for its members which is why at peak times a lot of
> local traffic must get routed via Europe.
> This explain to you why Dr. Ndemo wanted to setup a separate exchange point
> to initially provide service to the government and on the  other end I have
> kept insisting the CCK needs to set up an exchange point with enforceable
> regulations such as a minimum bandwidth to it with redundant links.

Is interconnection mandatory in Kenya?  If so, MUST it be done at
KIXP?  (I know in UG, interconnection is mandatory by UCC regs, but it
doesn't have to be at the UIXP.)

AFAIK, gov'ts/regulators don't normally have a role to play in setting
up IXPs and setting policies about how folk connect.  In Africa, we
have seen gov't take a more active role in recent years, (licensing
KIXP, providing space and power in UG, partnering with ISOC and
AfriNIC in Senegal, etc).

--
Cheers,

McTim