[kictanet] Standing on the shoulders of giants

Paul Kukubo ICT Board pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Wed Jan 12 23:00:53 EAT 2011

Edith

Happy New Year!

 "We need to move beyond talk". I ask, with the greatest respect, who is 'talking'?  Things have moved so much in the ICT Sector in Kenya that generalized statements should invite substantiation.

 "Framework?"  "Army of young innovators",  "clear strategic framework", "foundation for a national innovation system",  "profound change"  All great and welcome...

Is there any way one can contribute? What might that framework look like?  What are the  views specifically about current actions?

I  ask this to make the wider point about engagement and true involvement. There is a feeling that issues can sometimes over-articulated, over-generalized and glossed over. With the usual dose of "government should do this and that...." all too easy.

last year was a great year for the Kenya ICT Board and we moved forward. We hosted inspirational speakers like the founder of Kayak.com, and paypal.com,  a few venture capitalists visited the country, to meet, mentor and fund entrepreneurs. All this on top of the government disbursing the first batch of grants under the Tandaa Program, and providing laptop subsidies under the Wezesha program and providing subsidized bandwidth to Every tertiary institution in Kenya.

Just this Monday PS Infocom organized for Yvonne Muinde to 'speak' to the sector on the visual effects industry. A most inspiration speaker. PS set up a task force to take the thinking forward. First meeting Tuesday next week. 1st Visual effects workshop march 30th to include all stakeholders.

Specifics are welcome. We at the Kenya ICT Board as a implementing agency are always open to the challenge to do more.

Warmest regards.

Paul Kukubo
CEO Kenya ICT Board

Sent from my iPad