[kictanet] Is Safaricom disintegrating

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 09:50:23 EAT 2011

Hi listers,ea

Its not a good idea to type multiple emails at the same time, I sent out the
right email with the wrong heading.  Here is the correct posting for the subject
header

I have had an interesting 2 or so weeks dealing with the post Micheal Joseph
Safaricom.  During his reign MJ took an interest in what was being said about
the company, at least on this list which I strongly believe is representative of
the tech savvy population.

Why do I use a strong word like disintegrate well because before Safaricom went
on its acquisition spree I had a single contact number to report all my issues
with Safaricom but today I have over 5 numbers that I need to call to get a
semblance of assistance, of the 5 or so numbers only one is toll free the others
are chargeable calls.

Sometime back I raised this issue, that is yet to be resolved, in relation to my
WiMax connection which is a service offered by Safaricom Business whose customer
support number is 0722-002222.  In addition the number is only operational
between 8:30am and 5:30 pm, but this might be an indication of when I have
expected to have problems with the service.  Reminds me of my first boss who
once told me that I was dis-organised by falling sick in the middle of the
week.

I can remember a time when calling 999 got you access to all emergency services
does the demise of this single contact actually have something to do with
Safaricom not being able to provide a single number for customer care?

The situation gets worse every day, I requested Safaricom to deliver my WiMax
post paid invoice together with that for our post paid voice lines, I was
shocked to be informed that this is not possible as the two services, read
organisations are separate and therefore my request could not be honoured.

Here I quote the response from Safaricom Business "The billing for the  Wimax
account is done separately from the other post paid accounts hence, the  two
cannot be merged"

More recently my WiMax antennae was pointed to a new base station but after
working for 2 days it needed to be re-pointed to the original base station
because the person who made the change did not complete the internal paper work.

Yesterday I had another interesting experience when my 3G devices where unable
to access my servers hosted right here in the country yet I could reach
international sites.  I reported the issue to Safaricom Business support line at
about 8:30 am after which the circus begun, I received calls from no less than 5
different people all requiring me to repeat my problem, I would have expected it
was captured during my initial call?

After 6 hours of trying to convince me that the problem was localised to me, I
had tested the connection using 3 different 3G devices, they finally confirmed
that they where having an issue on their network.

At one point one of the engineers, Safaricom does not employ technicians, asks
the URL I am saying I cannot reach then tells me that from where she it it
accessible.  I would have expected that Safaricom would have a test bench to
simulate some of this issues.  They need to be able to also categorise clients
based on a predetermined skill level.  It is so painful going through the switch
off modem. ping DNS steps that I have recently relegated the 1st level of
support calling to my 13 year old son.

My experiences with Safaricom since I took up addition services from them namely
fixed wireless (WiMax) and domain hosting the number of telephone numbers for
Safaricom support have gone from 2 (voice & mpesa) to 15.

This is just 3 short of the ones I have for Telkom/Orange which range from the
numbers of the line plant staff (those who carry ladders or sit in the road side
cabinets), the 3 support numbers (100, 121 & 122).

A few numbers each for the Network Operations Center, Kenstream, ADSL,
broadband, Jambonet and EvDo just to be able to effectively support my clients
who are on the various services.  To put an icing on the cake I at one time had
to have the Managing Directors on speed dial from Cheserem to Kirui, the Orange
fellows are not as accessible which might explain the organisations lackluster
performance.

Safaricom is becoming what KP&TC and Telkom were as a monopoly big, blotted and
unresponsive, it is my sincere hope that we shall not get to the bottom of that
precipice as if we do it will mean that the time has come for some of us to go
and breed egg laying chickens, which might actually be to the benefit of the
industry.

If there is still someone out there from Safaricom listening this is the wrong
time for the organisation to be disintegrating if you expect to provide a
complete suite of products and services.  As solution providers we had started
filling like we had a partner who would work with us to deliver leading edge
solutions well we shall continue to hope and pray that that day will come, soon.

Regards

PS.  If private sector has a problem with offering a single point of contact can
we really expect it of the government?
Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor