[kictanet] Price Control in the Telecom Market in Kenya?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 07:40:44 EAT 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Barrack Otieno
<otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Precisely Athar, going forwad my submissions are emphasising on the fact
> that we shouldnt necessarily focus on growth of the industry per se but that
> of the entire economy, i would subsicribe to this argument if we had 100%
> coverage, considering the fact that we still have  some parts of the country
> that need to be covered how will this be attained?

a Universal Service Fund or requirement would be a useful first step.

This would entail significant investment.  Lowering the tax burden on
telcos while implementing Universal Service would be necessary.  This
means less for KRA, but that money would go to ICCK for
implementation.

are the Mobile Telcos
> getting sufficient return on their investment or do they have to rely on
> revenues from other Countries to expand coverage?

Depends on who is defining "sufficient" I think ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim