[kictanet] Day 5-6: Terms of Office, Removal from Office, Remuneration and Conflict of Interest

Vitalis Olunga volunga at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 13:01:04 EAT 2011

I suggest the Predient makes the appointment of the chairperson and members
approved and forwarded by the PSC.  This will give the office assume more powers
than if the appointment is done by the Cabinet Secretary. I am of the opinion
that Clauses 5. (1) and 5. (1)   (d) and relelated clauses  remain as they rae.
Secondly I suggest the veting by Parliament be part of the appointment process.
This will ake it more difficult for manipulation of the appoint process by the
President and the PSC.

I also has a problem with Clause 6. (1) (e) on Disqulification. If his or her
family member has a direct or indirect financial interest in the sector. This
can be interpretated to mean that if an individual or his/her member of a family
owns some shares in an a company in the sector then he/her does not qualify to
be a commissioner. This needs to be qualified further.  I therefore suggest that
this clause be looked into and be amended to bar only individuls/owners of firms
with controlling shares in any  company in the sector. It can easily be used
negatively if not carefully reconsidered.

Coming to the Clauses for today:

Clause 7. Terms of Office: There is some kind of overlap period that needs to be
taken care of.  The Clause can be amended so that only 50% of the commissioners
retire at the expiry of their first term. The major challenge will be how to
decide who to retire. May be the Commissioners can be allowed to vote on this
amongst themselves. Alternatively it can be determined based on the represatives
of particular interest, e.g. civil society, consumers.

I will comment on the other Clauses later.

Regards

Eng. Vitalis Olunga