[kictanet] Day 3: FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMISSION

muriuki mureithi mureithi at summitstrategies.co.ke
Thu Feb 17 13:35:13 EAT 2011

Hi Catherine

 A  major improvement of this bill is that it puts a cap on the maximum
number of the commissioners which was not the case on the 'former Act'  and
of course a small number of commissioners  which is the norm world wide . it
reduces cost at the top and ease of doing business . The old Act actually
sets a MINIMUM   not MAXIMUM

 It also removes government officers at the helm - remember the ' former
Act' had four  PS's . Certainly there is no way we could talk about
independence from government when half are government officers

Another improvement  is that some of the government officers in the former
Act carried double or triple huts - as regulator, represents interest in
government investments e.g. TKL, Safaricom as in the case of MOIC and
Treasury. To my understanding this is no more .  This takes the ICCK a notch
higher in the independence plan

However by  carrying all the baggage ( duties and powers) of the 'old Act'
some quest for independence will be lost e.g.

-          The minister/secretary can craft  ict policy and by publishing in
the gazette , the ICCK must implement it ( old act section 6). You will
notice in the 'old act' there is no need for consultation. Current policy
had consultation due to personal commitment of the  former PS  Eng Rege. I
hasten to add that I support a framework  for the government to publish
policy guidelines but should reflect wide consensus

-          A host of many others aspect in the old Act  must be approved by
minister with the catch phrase - by the time  being responsible for
communication, broadcasting,  finance , security etc etc .  Actually the
Minister appears in no less than 28 times

-          The old act also allows the minister to make regulations

By carrying over the  functions imposed to the old Commission  we carry the
same constraints

Appointment of the commissioners is good   but some issues  need to be
addressed

-          All the commissioners represent the supply side of the equation ,
we need the demand side  of the equation as well , where is civil society,
professional societies etc for example. This has been scrapped from the 'old
Act' sec 7(2). Incidentally  postal expertise has also been scrapped and
seems no longer required

-          While aspiring to get ' suitable qualifications, expertise and
experience'  persons to be commissioners, it is inconceivable that we can
get such people who have no direct or indirect interest in this sector
either themselves, family or friends.  Consider another framework - full
disclosure as a condition of appointment and resignation  in active
participation in the sector.

cheers

Muriuki Mureithi

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from
themselves. Sir james m barrie