[kictanet] Day 3: FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMISSION

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu Feb 17 11:24:18 EAT 2011

Walu - I also thought on the same lines as you have.
Waudo

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:55 -0800, "Walubengo J" <jwalu at yahoo.com>
wrote:

Waudo,
now your point brings in a question that I have always wondered -
the thin line between the ICT Regulator (cck) and the Policy
Agency (Communication Secretariate). Before Eng. Kairuki says the
clarity is there in the Communications Acts, I find that the
practice may not be as clear cut...
On paper, the Communication Secretariate is mandated to develop,
publish and represent govt policy on all ICT matters -which it
does.  However, with the Regulator strongly representing the
Kenya position at most of the ITU meetings one is tempted to
wonder why not raise the profile of the Secretariate to expound
on policy at the international fora? Am talking voting power at
ITU going to the Secretariate rather than residing with the
Regulator...i know its a tall order given that the structure at
ITU expects the regulator to call the shots but from a governance
point of view, policies should be matters for the policy
department (Communication Sec) and not the implementing dept
(CCK)
I know i could be getting into murky waters here, but I think the
new Bill should clearly define the thin line between policy
creation vs policy application - IN PRACTICE, the old bill does
this in theory. Does it?
walu.
--- On Wed, 2/16/11, waudo siganga <emailsignet at mailcan.com>