[kictanet] Day 1: Debate on the Independent Communications Commission of Kenya Bill 2010

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:34:36 EAT 2011

Dear Nyaki

Mureithi has raised important concerns but I would like to restate that there is need for a policy framework that informs this bill. Just like Walubengo raised when we were discussing the media bill, the need for a policy is important for such a process.

In regard to the objects, I would like to say that (c)..sets media standards...as required by section 34 of the Constitution. In as much as the bill wants to suggest that CCK is the envisioned body in the constitution, this particular task does not belong to it. This is a function of the Media Council. Infact I see a DRAFTING MISCHIEF here where in the purpose, this bill purports to amend the Media Act 2007. Again, the Media Bill 2010 will amend the Media Act 2007. My recommendations: delete this from the ICCK 2010.

With regard to (d) regulate communications in the public interest... Again we might start raising here the definitions of communication. There are varied and will touch on content for both print and broadcast media. The regulation here should be confined to frequencies.

Rgds
GG

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!