[kictanet] Bringing Sanity Back to our Roads

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Thu Feb 10 17:41:51 EAT 2011

Edwin,

Very good points.

I would say we need a working planned infrastructure with sufficient capacity to
handle traffic needs, the discipline of drivers and law enforcement, useful
information (much of which you outline) and more.

I also think we can ease congestion using technology: have more telecommuting
where people work close to where they live instead of enduring the jams,
indiscipline on the roads, etc. It would be good for our stress levels and
hearts. (Here is what I said to a delegation from Metropolitan Nairobi that came
looking for ideas; they have never followed up on their promises. I guess they
are waiting for  some donor to fund the initiative.)

BTW: much of what you have indicated is subject to a discussion held by some
colleagues with people at OP; I am told that the leading interest is CCTV and
border surveillance; see where the priorities are.

One last comment: for good happen, one needs leadership that has clear goals and
drives persistently to achieve those goals. The improvement of traffic condition
under Michuki was deliberate and persistent.

Regards

Message: 2