[kictanet] ICT incubator - Expressions of interest

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 20:18:05 EAT 2011

Chris,

That sounds like a useful forum for Listers interested in the economic
future of ICT in the region. I like the thought of initiatives coherently
fitting together, as it should be more of collaboration than  competition
(not that competition I bad for raising standards).

Thanks

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Chris Foster <cgfoster at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for this, it's an interesting discussion. How do all these
> different incubators, labs, entrepreneurship schemes and open spaces that
> are emerging in Kenya fit together coherently....
>
> On this subject, I thought I'd point out the launch of the
> Infodev/DFID/Hivos report on the ICT SME Sector taking place in Nairobi next
> week (18th Feb).
>
> From my brief reading, this report is very much setting out the future
> agenda for these donors on small ICT business development, so it might be of
> interest, and perhaps an appropriate platform to raise these issues for
> debate?
>
> http://www.infodev.org/en/Article.673.html (outline is included below)
>
> Thanks
> Chris
>
> --
> Christopher Foster
> PhD Researcher, Centre for Development Informatics (CDI)
> University of Manchester, UK
> Skype: cgfoster
>

> =======
> ICT in East Africa - Report Launch
> East Africa ICT SME Report Launch at World Bank, Nairobi
> =======
> Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are poised to play a significant
> role in the next phase of ICT industry growth in East Africa. To assess the
> market and identify opportunities infoDev, UKaid and Hivos conducted a
> detailed on-the-ground study of the ICT SME landscape in East Africa. This
> study performed by the Excelsior Firm, engaged over 100 policy makers,
> investors, academics, donors and entrepreneurs.
> report Launch
>

> Sign up to attend in person, or online, at eastafricaict.eventbrite.com
>
> Please join us on February 18th for the launch of our report on the East
> African ICT Sector: Transforming the East African ICT Sector by Creating a
> Business Engine for SMEs. This event will be held at the World Bank Offices
> in Upper Hill Nairobi on 18 February from 10:00am to 12:00pm. We will be
> presenting the report and hosting a question and answer session with the
> project team and donor communities.
>

> Background
>
> The information and communications technology (ICT) sector has been the
> major driver of economic growth in East Africa over the last decade growing
> on average by as much as 40%. To date, growth has largely come from
> world-class innovation by large multinational and local enterprises. Small
> and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are poised to play a bigger role in the
> next phase of industry growth. However, they must overcome a multitude of
> system-wide challenges in order for them to succeed in the marketplace.
>
> To understand the interventions required, a consortium comprised of members
> from infoDev, UKaid and Hivos conducted a detailed on-the-ground study of
> the ICT SME landscape in East Africa. This study performed by the Excelsior
> Firm, a US and Africa based advisory firm, engaged over 100 policy makers,
> [...]

My Blog - www.gmeltdown.com
Keep on doing what you know is right ...