[kictanet] ICT incubator - Expressions of interest

Chris Foster cgfoster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:13:25 EAT 2011

Thanks for this, it's an interesting discussion. How do all these
different incubators, labs, entrepreneurship schemes and open spaces
that are emerging in Kenya fit together coherently....

On this subject, I thought I'd point out the launch of the
Infodev/DFID/Hivos report on the ICT SME Sector taking place in Nairobi
next week (18th Feb).

 From my brief reading, this report is very much setting out the future
agenda for these donors on small ICT business development, so it might
be of interest, and perhaps an appropriate platform to raise these
issues for debate?

http://www.infodev.org/en/Article.673.html (outline is included below)

Thanks
Chris

--
Christopher Foster
PhD Researcher, Centre for Development Informatics (CDI)

=======
ICT in East Africa - Report Launch
East Africa ICT SME Report Launch at World Bank, Nairobi
=======
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are poised to play a
significant role in the next phase of ICT industry growth in East
Africa. To assess the market and identify opportunities infoDev, UKaid
and Hivos conducted a detailed on-the-ground study of the ICT SME
landscape in East Africa. This study performed by the Excelsior Firm,
engaged over 100 policy makers, investors, academics, donors and
entrepreneurs.
report Launch

Sign up to attend in person, or online, at eastafricaict.eventbrite.com

Please join us on February 18th for the launch of our report on the East
African ICT Sector: Transforming the East African ICT Sector by Creating
a Business Engine for SMEs. This event will be held at the World Bank
Offices in Upper Hill Nairobi on 18 February from 10:00am to 12:00pm. We
will be presenting the report and hosting a question and answer session
with the project team and donor communities.

Background

The information and communications technology (ICT) sector has been the
major driver of economic growth in East Africa over the last decade
growing on average by as much as 40%. To date, growth has largely come
from world-class innovation by large multinational and local
enterprises. Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are poised to
play a bigger role in the next phase of industry growth. However, they
must overcome a multitude of system-wide challenges in order for them to
succeed in the marketplace.

To understand the interventions required, a consortium comprised of
members from infoDev, UKaid and Hivos conducted a detailed on-the-ground
study of the ICT SME landscape in East Africa. This study performed by
the Excelsior Firm, a US and Africa based advisory firm, engaged over
100 policy makers, investors, academics, donors and entrepreneurs.

The findings suggest that the vision of a robust and dynamic ICT sector
driven by SMEs that create jobs and world-class innovation is possible,
and the likelihood of this outcome can be improved with a few targeted
interventions. The five proposed interventions consist of the
development of a fully connected SME network, filling the skills gap in
advanced business and technical knowledge, providing start up and early
stage funding for companies, enabling job creation for knowledge workers
and upgrading the business environment. Together these interventions
form the components of a potential East African ICT Business Engine that
could boost performance, not only within the ICT sector, as well as
continue to expand the economic development of the region.

We would like to sincerely thank the over 100 entrepreneurs, ICT
professionals, academics and experts who participated in interviews,
workshops and numerous discussions over the past 3 months. We appreciate
their dedication to the advancement of the ICT sector in East Africa and
their invaluable contributions to this report.

      *Full Report*

      **Transforming the East African ICT Sector by Creating a Business
      Engine for SMEs * <http://www.infodev.org/en/Document.1040.pdf>*

      **

**

      *Executive Summary *

      **Transforming the East African ICT Sector by Creating a Business
      Engine for SMEs - Exec Summary *
      <http://www.infodev.org/en/Document.1041.pdf>*