[kictanet] ICT incubator - Expressions of interest

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 15:43:20 EAT 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> McTim,
> You should have raised that issue over 4 months ago when the Kenya ICT Board
> invited interested parties to send a proposal for the development of ICT
> incubators.

I did point it out to the WB, rather too obliquely perhaps.

> Just like with chicken egg incubators you cannot have too many,

I think that is an empirical question.

every year
> our institutions of higher learning pour out thousands of graduates who need
> somewhere to develop their skills.  An incubator only hatches the chicks
> after that they are supposed to take in new eggs.  If the chicks are allowed
> to stay in the incubator then it purpose and objective are defeated.
> As had been indicated the funding was to come from the World Bank or some
> other donor.  What do you suggest that the KICT Board should do with those
> funds?

They would have to give it back if it came from a donor.  If it
didn't, it seems that some money needs to be spent to persuade  ISPs
to deploy IPv6, so maybe they could use it for dual stack CPE
software.  It would be quite a coup for kenyan coders to do this.

>  Can you please also furnish us with some of the ICT incubators in Kenya

Off the top of my head there is:
Strathmore
NaiLab
UoN/ihub/InfoDev/emobilis